Blog Directory - OnToplist.com "There's no such thing as adults. We're all just kids trying to grow into life."

Friday, February 5, 2010

Raising Awareness


     BRCA is a genetic mutation not many people know about. Mostly, it seems like, only the affected population are aware. The affected population and their genetic counselors and psychologists, that is. So how do we make the normal, and presently unaffected, populations aware?

     Raising awareness became one of my biggest hopes when I tested positive. Almost immediately I was given that chance. My high school required a year long project, of choice, in order to graduate. My project became my experience with BRCA, getting tested for the mutation and my results. I had to journal as I went which allowed me to expose the raw reality of this information, but at the same time informed them.
     I had to present my project in front of 5 judges. Two were students, two were teachers and one was an adult from the community. I presented to people of many different ages who would share my story with many different people (at least that's what I hoped). 
     I was nervous to present my project, but I was excited to enlighten people. I made it through with success. At the end of my project, everybody asked at least one question and people were emotional.
     I didn't choose this topic for my project to make people feel bad for me. I chose it because raising awareness has become very important to me. With awareness comes advancement. For the BRCA world advancement is ultimate success. With advancement elimination of the mutation may become possible. 
     As I keep reiterating, hope is everything and knowledge is POWER. When you have a day that is hard to get through, just remember that you are one step ahead of the game. Especially when you've gained knowledge that may help you win a game that you've taken into overtime. Always remember that a win is a win even if it takes a little longer to get to that final winning score. And never forget that every point counts. So even if accepting BRCA isn't easiest remember that each time you try dealing with it counts. If you can't seem to accept that BRCA has become a part of your life still try and promise yourself to never give up on living. A life is worth a thousand words while an existence is only a cluster of numbers representing a birth and death date. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You learned you were positive while in HS? That's amazing - and so is your focus on educating others! Kudos.

    ReplyDelete