Blog Directory - OnToplist.com "There's no such thing as adults. We're all just kids trying to grow into life."

Friday, February 5, 2010

BRCA Positive +








I have started this support site/ blog in my effort to help those men and women who have been faced with the reality of being BRCA positive. For some, BRCA is tragedy, but for others, its discovery and a blessing. Last year, at the young age of 18, I tested positive for the BRCA II genetic mutation.


BRCA I and BRCA IIare important to know about because these genetic mutations can be passed on from one family member to another. My mom carried this gene like her mom did. This is how I acquired a 50% chance for this mutation. My mother came along with me to face the reality of my results. I had a gut feeling that was proven to be true. I tested positive. As my mom burst out in tears, I found this information to be a blessing and have kept a positive attitude. This information helped me to see the world through a different set of eyes. It was almost like a rebirth. From that moment on I promised myself not to take life, its beauty and its people for granted. I also made a specific promise to myself that, for me, means more than anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment