Blog Directory - OnToplist.com "There's no such thing as adults. We're all just kids trying to grow into life."

Friday, February 5, 2010

Coping


     It is sometimes hard to deal with a life changing event. And sometimes it's even harder to know how to deal. When I first learned of my results, I was happy to know. As it all sunk in, though, I became a little worried. I didn't want my new discovery to frighten people away. Especially those people who I wanted to become romantically involved with. I was afraid that this truth would be viewed by people as a death sentence. In my eyes, BRCA is not a death sentence, but a rebirth and awakening.
I was scared people would assume that this young girl was going to die of breast cancer no matter what. That wasn't and isn't my view on the situation at all.
     I have a little bit of insight, though. At the time of receiving my results, I had been newly dating someone. All day I was scared to reveal my results to him. The whole way, though, he was very supportive. I was still scared anyways. When I broke the news to him he responded with: "Al, It doesn't matter what other people think. If they want to be judgmental over something you can't control then don't worry about it. This is your knowledge, your power. You don't have to tell anybody you don't want to. You're doing what's best for you." Hearing this was refreshing. His words revealed truth. This is something that I needed to do for myself and anybody who couldn't understand that and have my back wasn't right for me or the situation. People who can keep faith in you are people to keep faith in because they will be there for you through your times of need. 
     When it's hard to stay positive, stay HOPEFUL. The right people will find you and will support you. That is exactly what this support site is designed to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment