Blog Directory - OnToplist.com "There's no such thing as adults. We're all just kids trying to grow into life."

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Concerning My Post about the Term Previvor

I understand that quite a few people feel hurt by my post. The post wasn't meant to be taken personally. Many people take things personally, though, and that cannot be helped. If I feel a certain way about something, though, I am not going to beat around the bush.

Yesterday's post was not about what everybody's been through.
I'm not sure that anyone really seems to get that. People kept commenting and telling me their life hardships. Although, these hardships are sad and you have my sympathy, that was not the point. The point was that I was explaining my definition of the term and how I feel it belittles and downgrades my loved one's cancer battles. You don't have to agree with what I feel the word previvor means and how I feel about it. I never asked you to and I even stated before I started writing that this was my opinion, you didn't have to agree, and comments were welcomed.

You can't always take something as a personal attacked. The word "you" is a general term. It is not picking a certain person out of the crowd. Many people got defensive. I wonder what your reasons are. You feel that I am picking on you for my reasons and that is fine. I'm just trying to make you see the bigger picture and not only a piece of it. No matter is ever only one dimensional, but sometimes the human mind is.

I feel that many of you posted your experiences with cancer and how its affected your family, but I dare you to reread those shared experiences and I dare you to see the difference between those journeys and your own. I feel like many of you who commented yesterday are possibly allowing cancer to take control of your lives even though physically it may not be. Wouldn't this still be considered defeat? You can't allow cancer to defeat you. You can't dwell on what you feel cancer has taken from you. I didn't feel that any of you even expressed your gratitude for what you do have that cancer can't take.

What I get from the comments on this post is that its hard not to dwell sometimes. I am somebody who finds BRCA to be a blessing because it has improved my quality of life. If I am immature for that reason (which was most of your opinions) than oh well. That's honestly too bad because guess what? I'm the younger generation and whether or not you realize it you're going to need me to help you guys continue to make a difference. So beat my post down, tear it to shreds, do what you please. Yes, it was bold and strongly put, but sometimes that's what you have to do to get your point heard and across. Being quiet and passive only works for so long.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. We are all entitled to our opinions and sometimes it takes powerful words to get someone to look at things differently. Keep posting because, I for one, enjoy reading this blog and think you sound like a very mature young woman who will make a difference in this world. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all on a different journey,yet many of us with many similarites. There is no right or wrong feeling and/or opinion. It is a feeling and/or opinion of one that is as individual as that individual. You don't have to agree but you must RESPECT another. This is what makes the world what it is. Not always a good thing but in so many ways a great thing. The last thing we all need is to be against one another and attack in any way. We need to work together. We are all in this together. Do you truly know what it means to love one another as you yourself wish to be loved??? Try it....the rewards are twofold. This is a difficult journey for all, magnified by the times we live in. There should be NO judgment on this site only support, good bad or indifferent. Those of us old enough to know better.....support the younger generation. They WILL make a difference in this world BUT we have to set the example.....mentor....not be their nemisous.
    Hugs, CB

    ReplyDelete